The questions in this section are based on the experiences of women who have had abortions. In reading through these questions, be aware of any emotional or physical response you may have and record them. Answering these questions honestly will put you in touch with areas of life that have been affected by your abortion(s).
- Do you find yourself struggling to turn off the feelings connected to your abortion(s), perhaps telling yourself over and over to forget about it?
- When abortion is mentioned in public, do you find your body reacting physically, i.e., tightened stomach muscles, clenched jaw, or holding your breath?
- Do you find yourself avoiding books, magazines and television programs that deal with the subject of abortion? Do you change the subject in conversations that deal with the topic of abortion?
- Are you affected by physical reminders of your abortion, i.e. babies, pregnant women, abby clothes? Are you uncomfortable around children?
- Are there certain times of the year you find yourself depressed, sick or accident prone, such as the anniversary date of the abortion or the month of the would-be birth date?
- Are you resentful and unforgiving toward anyone for their involvement in your abortion(s), i.e., parents, boyfriends, the abortionist, friends or husbands?
- Do you find yourself rationalizing why you are better off without that child in your life today?
- Are you in a situation where you could find yourself faced with another unwanted pregnancy?
- Did your attitude towards relationships change? Do you find yourself avoiding relationships or becoming more dependent in them? Do you have difficulty with intimacy?
- Did you begin to use drugs and alcohol or did you increase your intake following your abortion?
- Have you experienced periods of prolonged depression? Do you have suicidal thoughts?
- Have you experienced any peculiar reactions, i.e., hearing your baby cry or nightmares, flashbacks, or hallucinations relating to the abortion?
- Have you felt a vague sort of emptiness leading to a deep sense of loss?
- When choosing to share about your abortion(s), are you overcome with sorrow, anger or guilt?
- Do you feel compelled to conceal your abortion(s) from certain people in your life?
You are not alone and the Cortland and Ithaca Pregnancy Centers are here to help you in your time of need. Contact us today.