The happy parents mentoring program is a one-on-one program designed to provide support for mothers and fathers as they begin to discover the ups and downs of parenthood. Whether your child is a newborn, toddler or of school age, the program's aim is to fit it to your situation. As you develop a relationship with your mentor, we hope that you will feel that the Cortland and Ithaca Pregnancy Centers are a place where you can express any individual parenting need or concern.
As a participant, you will meet with a trained counselor for six sessions and cover a variety of topics designed to help the parent with coping skills, goal setting, discipline and many other issues.
Among the topics to be discussed are:
- Goals for parents and how to achieve those goals
- Developing desired character traits
- How to be happy and satisfied
- Developing good self-esteem
- Meeting Physical, Emotional, Relational and Spiritual needs
- The Do's and Don'ts of discipline
- The Teachable Moment
- Television vs. Reading Books
Other topics may be incorporated into each session depending on the individual need of the parent.
Once the parent completes a minimum of six sessions, he or she may choose one of the following as a graduation gift:
A Stroller, Pack-n-Play, High Chair, Bouncy Seat or Swing